[XML4LIB] Databases or XML

Larry Schankman lschankm at mnsfld.edu
Thu Feb 7 14:31:07 EST 2002

ÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ

Greetings,

I also wish to pardon myself with the same question as Andrew (and a
comment). Though I'm a rank amateur, I've had fair success with building
database-enabled applications and web pages using ASP and Microsoft Access
(though I hope to soon upgrade to SQL Server). I recently took a 2-day
workshop on integrating XML and ASP and I'm still not certain what the
benefits are of using XML to do what already works with ASP databases. I
signed up for this list in the hopes that I'd gain insights into the bigger
picture of XML and "feel the love" (of XML), so to speak.

Sadly, I delete most posts since they seem to focus on rather tedious,
technical issues. I do believe that XML holds great promise for libraries
(especially since I like working with styles), but I haven't been inspired
by current applications yet to rush to adaptation. I'm excited about the
possibilities (viz. the ability to link entire web pages inside of another
web page, which I think has awesome potential for library instruction and
tutorials).

Judging from this list, it seems like most librarians who are into XML
programming are tech services folks who are primarily concerned with MARC
and cataloging issues. What I'd really like to hear more about are all of
the other applications librarians are developing for their libraries. Has
anyone developed a list of practical uses for XML for libraries? I see
tremendous publishing opportunities for those of you who really understand
XML and know how to develop with it.  Since I'm relatively new to the list
(3 weeks), I wonder if these discussions have already taken place. If XML
will be part of the new revolution in web programming, then I definitely
want in...but I need motivation to take the time to master it.

Cheers,

Larry Schankman
Remote Services Librarian
North Hall Library