Q: Examples of using XML to provide graphic and text only web pages

Daniel Cornwall dan_cornwall at eed.state.ak.us
Wed Sep 25 16:16:43 EDT 2002

Greetings,

This is my very first posting to xml4lib and I hope I'm not asking a
completely naive question.

Can someone provide any examples of a library or other institution using
XML files to serve up their "regular" and their "text only" pages.  As I
understand the articles on XML I've read, one of its (potential?) strengths
is to allow a content provider to provide the same information in a variety
of formats.

I salivate at the idea of preparing just one set of "data" files to display
both my regular and text only sites.  At one time, I thought I could do
this with CSS, but it doesn't look like that will work.  Could this work
with XML and has someone done so?

Thanks for listening, and apologies if you've done this topic to death!

Daniel Cornwall
Government Publications/Technical Services Librarian
Alaska State Library
PO Box 110571
Juneau, AK 99811-0571
(907) 465-2927 ph
(907) 465-2665 fax
E-Mail: dan_cornwall at eed.state.ak.us

Learn about the Alaska State Publications Program, a system that works to
make state information available to Alaskans now and in the 22nd Century.
See our web page at
< http://library.state.ak.us/asp/asp.html >.