[XML4LIB] Q: Examples of using XML to provide graphic and text only web

Dorothea Salo artisan at textartisan.com
Wed Sep 25 16:49:01 EDT 2002

> I salivate at the idea of preparing just one set of "data" files to
display
> both my regular and text only sites.  At one time, I thought I could do
> this with CSS, but it doesn't look like that will work.  Could this work
> with XML and has someone done so?

    I guess my first question is "What is your text-only site for?"

    If it's for printing, you can do quite well with clean (X)HTML plus a
CSS stylesheet distinct from your for-the-screen one, linked to via a <link>
element with a media="print" attribute. If the text-only page is for
accessibility, you're as well or better off doing up a cleanly-coded (X)HTML
+ CSS site.

    Is there some other obvious reason I'm missing? Or is your use for
text-only non-obvious?

    To answer your question, yes, this can be done. If you have
special-character issues and genuinely need plain-vanilla ASCII out the back
end, though, it will take a bit of tweaking.

Dorothea