[XML4Lib] JOB: Web Archive Programmer, CDL
roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Tue Jun 21 11:48:08 EDT 2005
Web Archive Programmer
California Digital Library
Job # 2323-05
CLOSE DATE: June 30, 2005
3 year contract position
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Web Archive programmer work will focus on a
national project developing capacity to capture and preserve web sites.
The focus will be on the identification, analysis, reporting on and
development of tools for the harvest and analysis of web-based content:
the crawlers, creation of digital objects from the crawled sites,
analysis, and presentation (viewing) of harvested content. This
includes recommending the purchase and/or modification of third party
software or the development of new software using Java, Perl and/or
Python programming languages.
• Bachelors degree or equivalent in an appropriate area such as library
and information science or computer science.
• 3 years experience developing software in production environments,
web protocols (HTTP, SOAP, LDAP, etc.), and common web formats (HTML,
PDF, GIF, etc).
• Experience working with and communicating with diverse staff
including technical and non-technical staff teams.
• High level proficiency and at least 2 years experience in the Java,
Perl and/or Python programming language.
• Proficiency in XML, XSLT and CSS.
• Demonstrated ability to review, assess, and communicate findings
related to software evaluation (evaluate reasonable alternatives,
translate findings into recommended changes, actions or strategies.
• Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to track, organize and prioritize workload and
request resources and information needed to do the job.
• Demonstrated flexibility in accommodating changing priorities.
• Knowledge of the Internet Archive’s web archive format, and knowledge
of web harvesters (e.g. HTTrack, Heritrix, Curl).
• Knowledge of web browser plug-in and Mozilla/Firefox programming.
• Knowledge of digital repository architectures (e.g. OAIS) and
association of content with persistent identifiers (e.g. PURLs, ARKs).
• Knowledge of digital library standards for description, transmission
and access (e.g., METS, OAI, HTML, Dublin Core, TEI, SGML, MARC).
ABOUT: The California Digital Library (CDL) is the 11th university
library of the University of California. It was established in 1997 to
build the university’s digital library, to encourage campus libraries
to share their resources and holdings more effectively, and to provide
leadership in the application of information technology to the
development of UC’s library collections and services. Its mission is to
harness technology and innovation, and leverage the intellectual and
cultural resources of the University of California to support the
assembly and creative use of the world’s scholarship and knowledge for
the University of California Libraries and the communities they serve.
To apply, go to:
Search for job # 2323-05
For further information about the CDL:
More information about the XML4Lib