[XML4Lib] need to remove namespace

John Fitzgibbon jfitzgibbon at Galwaylibrary.ie
Tue Jun 6 08:26:13 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have written a style sheet that transforms an XML file that has been
created with MarcEdit. The default namespace in this file is marc. All
elements have the marc: prefix.

My style sheet does not reference elements in the marc: namespace. When
I created test data I removed marc: from the text and wrote the style
sheet without regard to any marc namespace. It is not possible to do
this with the real data as the file is too large and such a 'find and
replace' is taking several minutes.

How do I make my style sheet automatically treat all elements as
belonging to the marc namespace? I tried including an attribute in the
style sheet element of

xmlns:marc=""

but my processor (both Xalan and Saxon) do not allow an empty value for
this attribute.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Regards
John

John Fitzgibbon

p: 00 353 91 562471
f: 00 353 91 565039
w: http://www.galwaylibrary.ie

Tá eolas atá príobháideach agus rúnda sa ríomhphost seo
agus aon iatán a ghabhann leis agus is leis an duine/na daoine
sin amháin a bhfuil siad seolta chucu a bhaineann siad.
Mura seolaí thú, níl tú údaraithe an ríomhphost nó aon iatán
a ghabhann leis a léamh, a chóipáil ná a úsáid.
Má tá an ríomhphost seo faighte agat trí dhearmad,
cuir an seoltóir ar an eolas thrí aischur ríomhphoist
agus scrios ansin é le do thoil.

This e-mail and any attachment contains information which is
private and confidential and is intended for the addressee
only. If you are not an addressee, you are not authorised
to read, copy or use the e-mail or any attachment.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.