[XML4Lib] University of Michigan Announces OAI Harvesting of MBooks

Willett, Perry pwillett at umich.edu
Tue Dec 11 12:48:05 EST 2007

The University of Michigan Library is pleased to announce that records
from our MBooks collection are available for OAI harvesting. The MBooks
collection consists of materials digitized by Google in partnership with
the
University of Michigan.

    http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/o/oai/oai?verb=Identify

Only records for MBooks available in the public domain are exposed. We
have split these into sets containing public domain items according to
U.S. copyright law, and public domain items worldwide. There are
currently over 100,000 records available for harvesting. We anticipate
having 1 million
records available when the entire U-M collection has been digitized by
Google.

In conjunction, we have released our open-source OAI toolkit on
SourceForge.
This toolkit contains both harvester and data provider, both written in
Perl.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/umoaitoolkit/

For questions about the project, please contact dlps-help at umich.edu.
Best wishes,

Perry Willett
Head, Digital Library Production Service
300 Hatcher North
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205
Ph: 734-764-8074