[XML4Lib] mods: the new marc?

Deridder, Jody L rde2 at utk.edu
Mon Dec 17 10:16:32 EST 2007

Hi Eric --
  Have you looked at the new ORE docs?

  I know that the move is toward FRBRization of metadata, and revamping
LCSH (also used in MODS, often) for faceted subject headings -- and that
we need to consider usability across arenas (learning objects vs.
libraries, for example).

 As you know, MODS was developed from MARC but still has many of the
same drawbacks.  I'm wondering if the best solution at present isn't
some combination scheme in RDF format.

--jody